Application to the Lactation Consultation Program
Those who are interested in the Lactation Consultation Program are encouraged to tour Birthingway and observe a class. Please contact us for an appointment. Important people to talk to before applying to the program are: the Lactation Program Coordinator and the Financial Aid Officer. An information packet, including an application, may also be sent upon request at no charge. The official Student Handbook and Catalog can be accessed here.There are Three Steps necessary to apply:
- Complete the Prerequisite required.
- Turn in a completed application.
- Set up an in-person interview.
Prerequisite to the Lactation Consultation Pathway 2 Program
The following prerequisite is required for admission into the Associate of Science in Lactation Consultation (Pathway 2) Program.
You may fulfill this prerequisite in one of four ways:
1. Complete a minimum of a 4 quarter or 3 semester credit, college-level composition/expository writing course. This course must have been taken at an accredited post-secondary institution, with a final grade of at least 3.0 (B). Creative writing will not be accepted as a prerequisite.
2. Receive a minimum score of 60 in one of the following College Level Examination Program tests:
- English Composition
- English Composition with Essay
- Freshman College composition
3. Receive a minimum score of 4 in one of the following Advanced Placement Programs (AP) tests:
- English Language and Composition
- English Literature and Composition
4. Submit a written letter from a college professor to the Lactation Program Coordinator stating that a completed course had a heavy writing component and that the applicant's writing ability in the course demonstrated at least a grade of B. This fulfills the prerequisite only and will not count toward general education requirements.
Prerequisite may be in progress at the time of application. However, the prerequisite must be completed and documented submitted to Birthingway by December 31st.
We do not currently offer a college-level expository writing course that fulfills this prerequisite. This prerequisite must be transferred in from an approved, outside institution.
The prerequisite course is listed in quarter and semester credit hours. If you are transferring credits using other systems (units, clock hours, etc.), please contact the Lactation Program Coordinator for assistance.
Admission to the Lactation Consultation Program is by application. The application and non-refundable $75 application fee are due at the college or postmarked no later than the application deadline of November 1st 2013. Admissions season begins May 1. The application will be available at that time. The College recommends that the applying student keep a copy of their application. Late applications will only be considered for admission if space is available after all other applicants have been considered.
The completed application includes:
- The completed Application for Admission to the Lactation Consultation Program.
- Response to application essay questions.
- Two written letters of recommendation (from people not related to the applicant) sent directly to the College from the references. Fax or e-mail is acceptable provided a mailed copy follows with an original signature.
- Copy of high school transcript, GED or other equivalency certificate.
- Official transcript documenting completion of English Composition course that meets our requirements.
- Official college transcripts from every college attended.
- Any outstanding Birthingway account balance must be paid in full.
- $75 Application fee
Applications are screened for completeness. Applicants will be contacted when all information has been received or if more information is needed.
A personal interview is required as part of the application process. The purpose of the interview is to familiarize you with the program and to learn more about you in order to assess if a good match exists between you and Birthingway. Once we have received your completed application, the Lactation Program Coordinator will contact you to schedule your interview.Application Evaluation
Currently, a small committee consisting of Birthingway staff evaluates each ALC Program Application. As the program grows, students or previous students will also be involved in the decision-making process.
In evaluating applications, the following factors will be considered:
- Completeness and clarity of the application
- Responses to the essay questions on the application, including correct spelling, grammar and conventions
- Time available to study, to be available for clinicals, etc.
- Previous life experience which would contribute to the sensitivity and insight a good lactation consultant needs, and which demonstrate initiative, independence, perseverance, and leadership
- Previous experience as a birth educator, health care provider, breastfeeding peer counselor
- Previous study in lactation education, including attendance at conferences, workshops, meetings, reading breastfeeding-related books and journals
- Feedback from instructors regarding any coursework taken at Birthingway prior to or during the application process.
The selection decision is made in early January. Students will be notified by letter once a decision is final.