Pathway 2: Accredited Academic Program Objectives
The Lactation Consultation program is one of Birthingway's three pathways you can take to meet the requirements to sit for the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE) certifying examination.
Lactation Program Objectives
- To graduate students with a breastfeeding knowledge base that is current and covers all of the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBCLE) Exam Blueprint topics.
- To train students in lactation consultant skills including those required by IBCLE.
- To assist students in acquiring clinical experience.
- To train students with competence in basic research and information literacy skills.
- To provide students with breastfeeding-related applications for a variety of therapeutic modalities.
- To prepare students to provide individualized care.
- To teach and promote biodynamic birth and breastfeeding principles.
- To use diverse methodologies based on biodynamic educational principles that encourage integration of intellect, senses, intuition, and judgment in learning situations.
- To support students with reaching their lactation consulting educational and professional goals.
- To encourage an evolving awareness of professional ethics and relationships with peers, preceptors, clients and others as articulated in the IBCLE Code of Ethics.
- To encourage and support students to be change agents in their communities.