- 8.1: College FAQ
- 8.2: Midwifery FAQ
- 8.3: Midwifery Program Application Process FAQ
- 8.4: Lactation Programs FAQ
- 8.5: Labor Doula FAQ
- 8.6: Postpartum Doula FAQ
- 8.7: Childbirth Educator FAQ
- 8.8: Scholarship Labor Doula Program FAQ
Legend Drugs and Devices FAQ
Legend Drugs and Devices FAQ
- 1. What are Legend Drugs and Devices?
- Legend drugs and devices are potentially lifesaving medications and skills (such as IV fluid therapy, use of oxygen, suturing, etc.) which require special authorization to access. Oregon midwives are now required to receive an LD&D endorsement as part of licensure. For her initial endorsement, a midwife must complete a state authorized education program consisting of 40 hours of training. A midwife who has the endorsement must have her endorsement renewed every 3 years by completing an authorized Renewal Program consisting of 12.5 hours of continuing education.
Use of legend drugs and devices without a license endorsement is a felony and could lead to criminal prosecution.
- 2. What courses does Birthingway offer?
- Birthingway currently offers both the Initial and Renewal education curriculums.
We try to offer the entire LD&D Initial Education curriculum as demand allows - if you need to take this training, contact the school to be put on our "interested" list. Initial Education consists of the following:
- Pharmacology – 8 hrs
- Suturing – 8 hrs
- Administration of Medication Through Injection – 2 hrs
- Maternal and Neonatal Resuscitation – 6 hrs
- Treatment of Shock – 16 hrs
We offer the Renewal Program for midwives who already have the licensing endorsement as two full-day workshops, with Maternal and Neonatal Resuscitation completed seperately. We try to offer this training as demand allows - if you need to take this training, contact the school to be put on our "interested" list.
The Legend Drugs and Devices classes are non-credit courses to meet the Oregon State licensing requirement only. They do not meet Birthingway graduation requirements for the certificate/degree program. Birthingway students receive training in Legend Drugs and Devices as part of their regular Midwifery Program curriculum. They do not need to complete the LD&D program prior to Oregon licensure unless more than three years have passed since completion of their skills coursework.
- 3. How do I know if I passed a section of the curriculum?
- To receive a "Pass" in a section you must attend all parts of that section and complete the post-test with a grade of at least 75%. If you pass a section, you will receive a CEU certificate from Birthingway. Do not send it to the state - they require your official LD&D transcript. If you do not pass a section, you will receive a notice from Birthingway informing you that you need to arrange remediation or retake the exam. Remediation will need to be arranged with your instructor.
- 4. Do LD&D courses count as CEUs?
- For purposes of Oregon licensing, the Initial Education classes do NOT count as CEUs, because they are considered part of initial training. For the Renewal Program, only the hours attended in excess of the 12.5 (6 in Maternal and Neonatal Resuscitation, and 6.5 in the other areas) minimum required by law count as CEUs.
For NARM certification, all LD&D courses count as CEUs. Birthingway will automatically provide you with a CEU certificate.
- 5. What do I do to get the licensing endorsement?
- To be official your LD&D transcript must be sent straight from Birthingway to the Health Licensing Agency. We will automatically send in your transcript if you complete all portions of the training from us - we will send you a postcard to let you know when we mail it. (If you are completing some requirements with us, and some elsewhere, just let us know when you want your transcript sent!) If you are licensing or renewing within a short timeline, it's a good idea to call the Health Licensing Agency to make sure they've received it.
The LD&D transcript form provided by the state requires us to collect the student's legal name (including middle initial), date of birth, and social security number. We will not be able to send your transcript without this information. If you do not take Maternal and Neonatal Resuscitation through Birthingway, you can send us copies of BOTH your certification cards (front and back) so that we can confirm this training on your transcript.
Please keep us informed of any address changes! Without your current address, we cannot send you pass/no pass notices or information on upcoming classes, and your transcript (if submitted) may contain incorrect information!