Types of Aid

Pell Grants are available only to students with significant financial need who have not previously completed a baccalaureate degree. The maximum award (for full-time, full-year students with a zero Expected Family Contribution ) is $5,730 for the 2014-15 award year.

Some students may also be eligible for the Oregon Opportunity Grant, a state run aid program for Oregon residents without a baccalaureate degree. The maximum award (for full-time, full year students with a zero Expected Family Contribution) is $2,000 for the 2014-15 award year.

The FSEOG program has limited funds and only a small number of students receive awards. Birthingway awards Pell-eligible students with the highest need first. Awards are currently set at $600 per year. 

If, after grant and work-study awards have been determined, you still have financial need and are attending at least half-time, you may be eligible for Stafford subsidized loans. With a subsidized loan, interest is paid by the federal government while you are in school at least half-time, during the six-month grace period or in a deferment period. The annual award limit for subsidized loans varies between $3,500 and $5,500, depending on your year in school.

As of July 1, 2013, new borrowers are subject to new subsidized loan limits based on the number of years they borrow. Borrowers may only borrow subsidized loans for the first 150% of their program, as measured in years:

Program Name: Credential Type

Minimum Program Length


Lactation Consultation Program: Associate Degree

2 years

3 years

Midwifery Program: Certificate

3 years

4.5 years

Midwifery Program: Bachelor Degree

4 years

6 years

A “new borrower” is defined as a student:

  1. with no federal student loan balance as of July 1, 2013 OR

  2. who had a federal student loan balance on July 1, 2013, but who paid the balance in full prior to receiving a subsequent subsidized loan disbursements after that date.

Federal loan balance applies to both FFEL and Direct student loans.

For more information, please see the Financial Aid section of the Student Handbook and Catalog and/or speak to the Financial Aid Office.

Please see the Department of Education's Student Aid website for more information on the new subsidized loan limitations.

In addition to subsidized loans, Stafford unsubsidized loans are available. Unsubsidized loans are non-need-based aid. With an unsubsidized loan, unlike a subsidized loan, interest will begin to accrue immediately and will continue to accrue even when you’re not in repayment. Unsubsidized loans are limited to the difference between the Cost of Attendance and the amount of other aid received. The annual award limit for unsubsidized loans varies between $3,500 and $12,500, depending on your year in school, dependency status, and the amount of subsidized loan received. You must attend at least half-time to receive an unsubsidized loan. The Department of Education is your lender for both subsidized and unsubsidized loans.

Parent PLUS loans are available to credit-worthy parents of dependent students. Students must be attending at least half-time for the parent to receive the loan. To request a PLUS loan, please contact the Birthingway Financial Aid Office for an application and more information.

Students who wish to borrow private or alternative educational loans should contact Birthingway's Financial Aid Officer and read through our Title IV Loan Program Code of Conduct.

Other aid options
In addition to the Federal Student Aid programs, Birthingway is approved by the Oregon State Department of Education to train veterans and is listed as an eligible training provider with the Oregon Department of Workforce Development.

As a Title IV school, we are authorized to accept payment through Americorps.

Birthingway does not currently offer any institutional aid.

Birthingway does not currently offer any federal work-study placements.

If you are a community student (any student not matriculated in the Midwifery or Lactation Consultation Program) and you are planning on paying for tuition and fees with external financial assistance, such as a scholarship, please complete the Community Student Financial Assistance form and submit with your registration.